The Benediction element of the ceremony is given at the closing of the ceremony, preceding the Announcement as Newlyweds.
It can be an expression of good wishes, a giving of a blessing or some sage advice and words of wisdom.
Scripture, poems and prayers are often used for the benediction.
While reading the benediction it is common for the officiant to hold their arm up as a symbolic gesture of giving a blessing and/or as a gesture of authority.
2. The light of God surrounds you, The love of God enfolds you, The power of God protects you. The presence of God watches Over you, wherever you are, God is, and all is well. - Unity Prayer of Protection
4. May the blessings of God rest upon you. May God's peace abide in you. May God's presence illuminate your heart now and forever more. - Sufi song
6. May the long time sun shine upon you and the pure light of love guide you on your way and may the peace of the Lord be with you always. - Author Unknown
7. Now the Lord of peace himself give you peace always by all means. The Lord be with you all.- 2 Thessalonians 3:16 King James Version
8. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:7 New King James Version
9. May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun Shine warm upon your face. And rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of His hand. - Irish Blessing Author Unknown
10. Now you will feel no rain, For each of you will be shelter to the other. Now you will feel no cold, For each of you will be warmth to the other. Now there is no more loneliness, For each of you will be companion to the other. Now you are two persons, But there is one life before you. Go now to your dwelling place, To enter into the days of your life together. And may your days be good and long upon the earth. - Adapted from the Apache Wedding Prayer
11. May you be filled with loving kindness. May you be well. May you be peaceful and at ease. May you be happy. - Ancient Tibetan Buddhist Blessing
12. The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen. 2 Corinthians 13:14
For more information on ceremony elements as well as examples of various elements, please visit the wedding ceremony elements page.